T-Birds take on Santiago for the 2023 Pan Am Games

On October 20, Chile’s capital welcomed over 6,800 athletes from 41 countries to the 19th iteration of the Pan American Games. The 17-day-long event is scheduled from October 20–November 5 and is the largest international multi-sport competition for North and South America.

Of the 473 Canadian athletes in attendance, 40 are UBC students or alumni.

Current and former Thunderbirds will represent Canada in a variety of varsity sports including swimming, field hockey, rugby, beach volleyball, pentathlon and athletics. Climbing, table tennis and sailing will also be represented by UBC athletes.

UBC’s Athletic Director, Kavie Toor, is excited to see so much representation from a program he believes fosters “not only athletic, but academic excellence.” Toor said the strength of UBC's varsity teams is reflected in the multitude of T-Birds present in Santiago.

“Here at UBC Athletics, we aim to provide a supportive and thriving environment where students can grow their athletic abilities,” Toor said. “This moment to be on an international stage is a reflection of so many Thunderbirds’ effort and time spent in our athletic programs.”

UBC and Canada have been historically strong as well. UBC is the most decorated post-secondary athletics program in Canada and the Canadian National Team has earned 2,067 medals since its first Pam Am participation in 1955.

Students aren't the only T-Birds in Santiago. UBC’s race walking coach and Olympic-medalist Evan Dunfee and swimming assistant coach Sierra Moores were also both selected for the 2023 Pan Am Games; Dunfee will compete in race walking and Moores is part of the swimming coaching staff.

Alongside them, a multitude of T-Bird para-athletes will compete in the Para-Pan Am Games from November 17–26. All sports rosters have yet to be announced, but para-track athlete Connor Pierce and para-rugby players Bryon Green and Travis Murao are amongst the former Thunderbirds participating.

As of publication Canada has captured 105 medals. Based on the depth of UBC’s athletes, there will likely be more T-Birds success in the coming days.

The Games can be viewed online at cbc.ca and results can be views at santiago2023.org/en.