Q&A with scholarship-winning volleyball player Lucy Borowski

Volleyball BC selected second-year Lucy Borowski as the female recipient of the annual Ray Lepp Scholarship. Borowski was recognized amongst a competitive group of applicants for her dedication and passion for the sport.

From winning the 2019 BC Girls AAA provincial championship in high school to recently garnering the 2022 Canadian Games Bronze Medal with Team BC, she has demonstrated her ability to perform in any environment.

As a second-year T-Bird, her 2022/23 season has included a season-high 15 kill game against the University of Alberta Pandas and 108 kills total across all games so far.

The Ubyssey spoke with Borowski in a Q and A about her experience with the T-Birds.

The transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity.

When did you start playing volleyball? And when did you realize you were good at playing volleyball?

LB: I started in grade five I believe and then I started playing club in grade eight. I am still trying to improve all the time, but I think I realized that I wanted to pursue it in grade nine or ten.

How did it feel to find out you won the Ray Lepp scholarship?

LB: I didn’t really think I was going to get it but it was nice to find out I did. People that have won it in previous years I look up to so much. So it was really special for me.

Now that it is your second year, how would you say it has differed from your first?

LB: I’ve gotten a lot more opportunities to play this year, so that’s nice to get some more experience. I think last year was a lot of learning. There was a big jump from grade 12 to first year — now I have a little bit more confidence and ability to help the team.

Borowski was recognized amongst a competitive group of applicants for her dedication and passion for the sport.
Borowski was recognized amongst a competitive group of applicants for her dedication and passion for the sport. Isabella Falsetti / The Ubyssey

Do you have any personal highlights from this season? Not necessarily on the court.

LB: I think just the group of girls this season, we’re so close and such a tight-knit group. It’s just so much fun to hang out with them every day — the day that you guys mic’d up Dani was the best too.

Speaking of the team, how has being with this group of girls and the coaches shaped your education at UBC?

LB: It was kind of a shock when I got here, how motivated and successful everyone was on this team. Being surrounded by my teammates and my coaches really pushes me to do better — just being in the gym with them is pretty inspiring.

What advice would you give to someone hoping to join UBC’s volleyball program?

LB: Something that Doug [volleyball coach] really values is character and work ethic. Obviously keeping your grades up in high school and having the willingness to learn and ask a lot of questions — he really values that on top of just volleyball skill.

"Now I have a little bit more confidence and ability to help the team."
"Now I have a little bit more confidence and ability to help the team." Isabella Falsetti / The Ubyssey

What are your future plans? Is this going to be a career for life?

LB: I would like to try, but you never know where life takes you. I would love to play in Europe and play pro some time.

Hug, marry, kill: hitting, digging, or serving.

LB: Hug hitting, marry digging, kill serving.

Do you have any staple songs pregame or any rituals?

LB: We always listen to some good 2000s music. Maneater by Nelly Furtado. We always do a speech from all the seniors before we play.

How does it feel to walk around with the coveted varsity backpack?

LB: So great. I do love that backpack, it’s very nice.

Final question, you did previously say on Instagram, quote, “Bee Movie on top.” What is your favourite food to eat with honey?

LB: Good brie and crackers.

Is there anything else that you want the people to know?

LB: Go 'Birds.