NGWSD: Women’s basketball head coach Isabel Ormond brings “compassionate curiosity” to her team

For Isabel Ormond, head coach of the UBC women’s basketball team, a career in coaching was an unexpected turn of events.

“If you told me when I was 20 that my career would be coaching, I would have not thought that was possible. But for me, it ended up being a way for me to stay involved with sport and be competitive with basketball when I wasn't able to play anymore.”

The Hamilton, Ontario native grew up as a multisport athlete. Having previously been on the national team for triathlon, she always thought she would run in university. Then in grade 12, Ormond had a change of heart and decided to pursue basketball seriously. She was a walk-on for McMaster University’s basketball team in her first year and was team captain by the end of her time there.

But her time on the court was cut short.

“I actually had a career ending injury when I was playing at McMaster University, which really changed my outlook and my plan of life.”

“I didn't know how to be a basketball fan or coach or supporter without physically playing,” said Ormond.

Ormond was considering teaching as a career option when Scott Edwards at the University of Alberta reached out about their master’s of coaching program and an opening for an assistant coach with the Pandas.

She credits Teresa Burns, who was her coach at McMaster, for inspiring her to take the opportunity.

“She made me want to coach … I asked [her], ‘can you actually have a career in coaching?’ and she told me about her pathway. So it was seeing her be so successful in the role that really helped me make the decision to move and I'm so happy I did.”

“I see my role as a supporting cast trying to help facilitate them being their best in different ways," she said.
“I see my role as a supporting cast trying to help facilitate them being their best in different ways," she said. Isa S. You / The Ubyssey

Ormond began assistant coaching for the Pandas and doing her master’s in coaching studies and sport psychology in 2017. She started her PhD in coaching and sport psychology in 2019.

“It just reignited my passion for basketball and working with kids and young adults,” said Ormond.

While at the University of Alberta, Ormond was selected to participate in the U Sports Female Apprenticeship Coach Program, which connected her with a large network of other women who had played in U Sports and were also pursuing coaching, in addition to providing funding for apprentice coaches.

Having money, whether as sponsorships for athletes or general resources for coaches, set aside for women was something Ormond noted as important for growing the women’s game.

“Coaching, as a whole, requires a lot of volunteer hours, and even the hours you work in season are a lot more than you might be paid regardless. So there's a lot of free labour and free work. And then that does end up being more towards women depending on their position or the year,” said Ormond.

“But we're getting better and better at putting women and people in positions that can support them financially and also get them the experience that they need to move forward.”

Ormond’s coaching philosophy is context and person dependent.
Ormond’s coaching philosophy is context and person dependent. Isa S. You / The Ubyssey

Ormond joined the Thunderbirds as head coach of the women’s basketball team in August of 2023.

Ormond described her coaching philosophy as context and person dependent. Having athletes play to their strengths and highlighting their different contributions, while fostering a sense of what she describes as “compassionate curiosity” shapes how she works with the team.

“When you have student athletes make decisions and create, they can really surprise you with what they do. So I see my role as a supporting cast trying to help facilitate them being their best in different ways.”

For Ormond, prioritizing personal development is key. Her PhD thesis focused on personal development of female student athletes, with emphasis on building motivation and life skills outside of the court.

“I think that leadership piece, the hard work, the teamwork, and being able to develop whole people, as opposed to just basketball players, is the most intriguing and most important for me.”

Ormond during practice.
Ormond during practice. Isa S. You / The Ubyssey

Since her arrival to UBC, Ormond has been busy with recruiting, fundraising, planning preseason and training schedules and working with support team staff (which includes mental performance coaches, nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches and athletic therapists).

“I think the most surprising thing about a coach's job is you spend, actually, the least time on court,” said Ormond.

As a female head coach working in a male dominated field, Ormond is invested in building up the community of women’s sports.

“I really make sure that my door is open for other women coaches, as well [as] any coach, but if there's a woman that's played and wants to be in the gym and wants to learn and start that process, I really want to make sure that I can help make space for people like that in sport and in basketball.”

Her advice to women wanting to pursue coaching is to find community and reach out to other coaches.

“I still have a list of coaches in U Sports that I'm now coaching against, who I would love to keep learning from and love to work with, or watch or practice from. So it's like don't stop taking those opportunities to learn and grow from the people around you as well.”

As a female head coach working in a male dominated field, Ormond is invested in building up the community of women’s sports. Isa S. You / The Ubyssey

Ormond has got her eyes set on winning the national championship which will be hosted by UBC next year.

“I think there's a lot of work we have to do [to achieve gender equality in coaching], but I feel very happy and excited and sometimes almost a little in shock, as if I'm like, ‘woah, I'm the one making these decisions and running the program,’” she said.

“But I think you just take it with a lot of grace and a lot of appreciation and [I’m] excited to learn and hopefully open more space for other women that want to get into the coaching world.”

February 7 was National Girls and Women in Sport Day