Football suffers first loss in back-and-forth battle with Saskatchewan

“I just want to beat Sask. I hate Sask,” said UBC receiver Shemar McBean to the Canada West broadcast before the fourth quarter.

After a stinging 34–31 loss to the rival University of Saskatchewan Huskies last Friday, McBean’s words stung just a little bit more for the team.

In a rematch of last year’s Hardy Cup final, the Huskies delivered the Thunderbirds’ first loss of the season after costly turnovers and unfortunate mistakes proved fatal.

The T-Birds got off to a promising start with a gutsy call. On a 3rd and 5, UBC faked a field goal with quarterback Derek Engel running straight through the defensive line for a touchdown.

By taking an early risk, the ‘Birds set a standard for both teams — no points could be left on the field.

UBC and Saskatchewan would then trade scores to go into a 14–14 tie, before the T-Birds committed a crucial mistake.

On a short swing pass to running back Dane Kapler, the Huskies popped the ball loose to take possession and halt the Thunderbirds drive. UBC stopped the Huskies on their drive, but still gave up a field goal to go into the half down 17–14.

After the half, the Thunderbirds came out flat.

Quarterback Garrett Rooker — who had previously only had one interception all season — forced an ill-advised pass to the sideline, which was picked off by Huskies cornerback Finn Marcotte-Cribb. The Huskies converted that drive into a field goal, and added an extra 3 points on their next drive to lead 23–14.

After the T-Birds punched their next possession in for a touchdown, the scoring floodgates opened.

Saskatchewan returned the ensuing kickoff 105 yards for a touchdown before UBC answered with a special teams play of their own — a 62 yard punt return touchdown by McBean. The play brought UBC within two points by the end of the third quarter, with Saskatchewan leading 30–28.

In the fourth quarter, UBC ran out of gas. While they did get a field goal to briefly take the lead, Saskatchewan quickly answered with a field goal to go up 33–31. Their defence suffocated the T-Birds, preventing any chance of a last gasp comeback, and a rouge sealed UBC’s defeat 34–31.

With this loss, the Thunderbirds lost crucial ground in the Canada West playoff race, with the T-Birds and Huskies now tied for first. The T-Birds will have to win the rest of their remaining games and have Saskatchewan drop a game to reclaim the top spot in the conference.

The ‘Birds will look to get back on track after the Thanksgiving break on October 14th against the University of Calgary Dinos.