UBC appoints 31 Canadian Research Chairs, receives $27 million

UBC received $27 million today, appointing 31 professors as Canada Research Chairs. The announcement was made this morning by Kirsty Duncan, member of parliament and Minister of Science. 

Across Canada, 305 Chairs were appointed, which represents a $260 million investment in the Canadian Research Chairs (CRC) program. Duncan also announced an additional $342 million through the Research Support Fund to cover research at Canadian Institutes and $17 million for infrastructure from the CRC.

Eighteen of the Chairs appointed at UBC were new and 13 were renewals. The program is designed to attract and retain top Canadian and international researchers to Canadian universities. Currently, there are 1,700 chairs at 70 Canadian universities. UBC hosts 187 chairs at the moment.

CRCs range from the natural sciences to applied sciences, health and medical sciences, social sciences and humanities. Eleven appointments were made in the Faculty of Medicine, one of which was a joint appointment with the Faculty of Science which saw 10 appointments. Applied Science saw three appointments, Land and Food Systems saw two, Education two, Arts four and the Faculty of Health and Social Development at UBCO saw one.

At a press conference with Duncan, Simon Peacock — the dean of the Faculty of Science, Terry Beech — the Parliamentary Secretary for Science and MP from Burnaby North-Seymour, Mario Pinto — the president of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Pierre Normand — vice-president of the Canadian Foundation for Innovation and John Hepburn — UBC's vice-president of Research & International, Duncan announced the new CRCs at UBC. Several new CRCs were also present at the press conference.

“This is a wonderful day to recognize and celebrate the Canada Research Chair program and to recognize some of the world-class researchers here at UBC,” said Peacock.

“World class research and training that takes place at UBC fuels Canada research and development engines,” said Duncan. “Their work pushes the limits of knowledge and helps to improve quality of life.”

A full list of the new and renewed appoints can be viewed here.