Refugees Welcome: a benefit concert on March 12

What started out as a civil war and instability in Iraq has led to one of the biggest refugee crises of this century. Millions have been displaced from their homes in Iraq and Syria, and thousands have died at the hands of ISIS. Meanwhile, the world stands back, aghast at the brutality that currently plagues a part of the world that has been wrought with conflict for generations. 

It may not be easy to watch this violence unfold before our eyes on our screens, but in the comfort of our privileged Western lives, it is easy to slip into complacency. Part of the problem is simply not knowing how to help. I remember watching a video of a Syrian woman pleading for help from anyone whether they were Muslim, Christian or Jewish. I sat there in tears desperately wanting to do something — anything! 

Thankfully, there are ways to help and I am blessed to be apart of an effort that is working to change the lives of a mother and daughter from Syria. Due to security reasons, I cannot release the specifics of their situation, but they are currently at high risk due to factors beyond just war. The Government of Canada initiated a program called the Private Sponsorship of Refugees program. This program allows churches to sponsor refugees to come live in Canada. The beauty of this program is that it allows for a positive and personal transition from the home country to Canada. While allowing large amounts of refugees into a country at one time can be necessary and crucial, one can imagine how this process could be isolating and disorienting due to the sheer numbers of people. 

Some members of Crossway Church in Surrey have decided to step forward in sponsoring a family. In our endeavour, we know the mother and daughter who we will be sponsoring and their story. Once they come to Canada, some of the money we are raising will be used to help them get on their feet for the first year or until the mother can find work. They will have a personal support system and people who have been awaiting them specifically and preparing for their arrival. 

This endeavour is not possible on our own. We need you to make this work of changing the lives of these two people possible. There is an old saying: “Many hands makes for light work.” I firmly hold to this idea that what seems like a huge endeavour can be accomplished when people come together in numbers and make change through incremental contributions. Our goal is to raise $10,000 through our donation site.

UBC has about 50,000 students, so everyone contributing just $1 would bring in $50,000! This would exceed our goal five times over and for just a dollar. Our online campaign will finish at the end of March, so don’t wait! I leave you with this: next time you say that you have no money (and I get it, I don't either), but go on to buy a latte at Starbucks, know that you could have made a life-changing difference.