Ask Natalie: I was accidentally mean to someone at a party

“Natalie,

I was at a party this week and I got very drunk. I was accidentally really mean to someone I met. I’m not normally a bitch when I’m drunk. What should I do? I feel bad.”

I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re stuck as a bitch forever. That’s the secret initiation. You’re mean to someone at a party once and now you have a new life. Embrace who you are now. There’s no going back. Ever.

Calm down. People do dumb things when they’re drunk, but it doesn’t make you a bad person. If you can text them without it coming off as creepy, then go ahead. It can really make someone feel better about their night after they’ve been apologized to about something someone said but didn’t mean.

As a side note, if this ­­— getting drunk and becoming someone you don’t like — becomes a recurring issue, then please considering cutting back on your drinking or abstaining for a while. University may be an ideal place to party, but that doesn’t mean you should let drinking ruin your fun. You can always have fun without alcohol.

“Dear Natalie,

Why does this term seem to go on forever, even with reading break?”

Because it is going on forever. Literally. We’re stuck in a time loop.

It’s college — it seems to go on forever and our lovely city’s seemingly never-changing weather makes it seem like there has been no change in time this term. The truth is there are about six weeks left before exams and that’s a little mind-boggling. I think we’re all a little tired of this semester, but it’s important to remember that we only have 4-6ish years in our undergrad. It’s important to have a little fun while we’re here!

“Hi Natalie,

I skipped a lot of my classes earlier this term and bombed one of my midterms. I never handed in a paper. Is it too late to turn around the term?”

No, it’s not too late. First, go to the prof’s office hours and see if you can hand in the paper late. A lot of profs are willing to work with students if they need to hand in assignments late. Be honest and see if they can help.

As for your midterm, it’s definitely not too late to get your mark up — unless that midterm was worth 51 per cent and you actually got zero. Pull up your bootstraps and start going! You’re paying at least $60 per class, so don’t think that skipping isn’t hurting anyone. Your wallet is an important part of your life.

Study hard and don’t give up hope — it’s not trying to get up after you’ve fallen that gets you run over.

Need advice? Contact Natalie anonymously at asknatalie@ubyssey.ca and have your questions answered in an upcoming issue.