Vehicle falls through Thunderbird Parkade, one person suffers fatal injuries

Around 9:30 a.m. on January 17, a vehicle fell through the Thunderbird Parkade, leaving one man with fatal injuries.

Several emergency services and vehicles were present on the scene, including RCMP, fire and ambulance.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Service Assistant Chief Jarret Gray said the “vehicle went off the third floor of the parkade and it has a person in the vehicle in unknown condition at this time.”

Gray explained that “concrete siding [of the building] came off with the vehicle going off the side ... and the vehicle is now suspended vertically nose down.”

He said “[crews] are accessing [the situation] and securing the vehicle.”

According to a RCMP update from January 18, the vehicle "crashed through a barrier on the second floor of the Thunderbird Parkade and had fallen down to the first."

On January 17, Paramedic Public Information Officer, Jasprit Khandal wrote "Paramedics did not transport any patients to hospital," in a statement to The Ubyssey.

However, the RCMP announced that the individual trapped was "pronounced deceased at the scene."

The road is closed to traffic between Wesbrook Mall to East Mall. The road and Thunderbird Parkade later reopened in the evening.

In a statement to The Ubyssey, Matthew Ramsey, director of university affairs at UBC Media Relations, wrote “Vancouver Fire Rescue and UBC crews are on-scene assessing damage. It’s not clear at this time when the building will be opened to allow vehicles to enter or exit.”

This article was updated on January 17 at 1:27 p.m. to include a statement from Paramedic Public Information Officer Jasprit Khandal.

This article was updated on January 18 at 8:10 a.m. to include new information from Sargent Kris Clark of the RCMP.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.