UBC may have autonomous shuttles on campus as soon as 2022

UBC has partnered with the British Columbia Automobile Association (BCAA) to bring an autonomous shuttle bus system to campus next year.

This new pilot project will see autonomous low-speed shuttles transporting students and faculty across campus, including in some pedestrian-only pathways. One route will run between the Varsity Fields at Thunderbird Park from Thunderbird Boulevard and W 16th Avenue while a second will loop around the length of East Mall between University Boulevard and Stadium Street.

The shuttles will be free to ride and could launch as early as winter 2022.

“The primary purpose of the pilot program is for research, which does include running with passengers on board,” wrote Michael White, associate vice-president of Campus and Community Planning in a statement. “Since the shuttle only carries a few passengers at a time, it will not replace any public transit service to, from or around UBC.”

These EasyMile shuttles are already transporting people around campuses and communities worldwide. UBC is currently following suit behind the National University of Singapore’s own EasyMile pilot project, NUSmart. Similar programs can also be seen at Dallas and Tokyo International Airports. The eco-friendly models can handle severe cold, heat and weather patterns. Shuttles will run for at least a year from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays in 15 minute intervals.

The shuttles are driverless and are controlled by cameras, lidar sensors and GPS monitoring to move along a designated route.

Driverless or autonomous vehicles are not yet legal for public use in BC, but the project is in the process of being exempted by the provincial government before it can be put into use.

“After a period of testing, the shuttle will be available to move passengers along a portion of the East Mall corridor,” said White. The key is to ensure that the vehicles are fully functional and safe under the control of an operator before they can follow their proposed routes, White said.

“BCAA and UBC will share more details about the pilot when [they] are confirmed.”