UBC moves Term 1 summer classes online and prepares for the possibility of Term 2

While UBC transitioned all spring courses online for the remainder of the term due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has also decided that Term 1 summer courses will be moved online.

The university made the announcement in a broadcast email sent to faculty, staff and students on March 25 signed by UBC President Santa Ono. The email confirmed this would affect summer courses on all campuses. Courses that could not be moved online would have to be postponed or redesigned.

“To aid our students, faculty and staff as they plan, and in clear recognition that current mitigations may need to continue for an as yet undetermined period, I am announcing that Term 1 of Summer Session (running May 11 – June 18) at UBC Vancouver, UBC Okanagan and UBC Robson Square will be online,” wrote Ono in the email.

The university has not made a final decision on whether Term 2 courses will be online only as well, but they are preparing for the possibility that they will be.

While courses will be online for the foreseeable future, UBC plans to keep campus operations running when possible and under the guidance of provincial health authorities. The university announced earlier last week that student residences would remain open for the time being.

“These past weeks have seen this university make enormous shifts in its academic delivery and its operations. I know this has added to the stress levels and workloads of all our students, faculty and staff,” reads the email from Ono.

“I thank all of you for adapting to the challenges as they arise and for your commitment to our university and the wellbeing of our community.”