UBC announces summer Term 2 courses to be held online

UBC has moved summer Term 2 classes online, as the university continues to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The announcement comes after the university transitioned summer Term 1 courses online in late March. An April 17 broadcast email sent to students, staff and faculty stated that the Term 2 change will affect UBC Vancouver, Okanagan and Robson Square campuses.

The email reminded faculty of resources available to support teaching changes. Though classes have been online since in-person classes were suspended March 16, professors and students continue to adjust to new online learning environments.

“As a reminder, not all courses are easily remodelled for online instruction. In those instances, courses may have to be postponed or redesigned,” wrote President Santa Ono in the email.

“For classes that cannot be accommodated online, further information will be issued through our Faculties.”

The email said the university is still planning for fall classes, with the Board of Governors discussing yesterday lower-than-expected offer acceptance rates for fall semester compared to the same time last year.

“As we continue to navigate the challenges associated with COVID-19, we are actively planning for how we might teach in the Fall semester. We appreciate that many of our students, faculty and staff will have questions about teaching and learning as the year progresses,” said Ono in the email.

“We will do our best to update you as the situation evolves. In the meantime, I would like to thank you, once again, for your patience and flexibility.”