Letter from the News section: Stay informed on the federal election with The Ubyssey

If you’ve glanced at some headlines on your phone lately you’ve probably seen something about the writ being dropped.

A writ is a formal order instructing an election officer in a single electoral district to call an election to elect a member of the federal Parliament. There are in fact 338 writs, one for each riding in the country, that are released after the prime minister asks the governor general to dissolve Parliament. On September 11, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asked Governor General Julie Payette to dissolve Parliament, kicking off the most exciting time in Canadian politics: the federal election campaign.

Now that the writ is dropped, eligible voters should check if they’re registered to vote. Canadian citizens who are at least 18 years old should already be registered in the National Register of Electors. But it’s always a good idea to check so you don’t encounter any issues on election day, particularly if you’re an out-of-province voter. Elections Canada has an online registration service where voters can check their registration or update their address. You must be registered in order to vote. While you can register at the polls, registering in advance means you’ll get a voter information card in the mail that tells you where, when and how to vote. This will include on-campus polling stations run by Elections Canada.

To find out what riding you’re in, you can type in your postal code at Elections Canada’s website. This will not only tell your riding, but also who the candidates are.

After you’ve checked your registration and riding, stay up to date with the election by following our coverage. Whether you are a first-time voter or a seventh-year political science major, The Ubyssey is here to help you navigate the news. From debate coverage to candidate profiles and explainers on hot-topic issues, we’ll be here breaking down the news that matters to students.

Got a topic you want us to dive into? Email us at news@ubyssey.ca.