Debate recap: VP External

Despite the fact that only two candidates are in the running this year for the position of AMS VP external, both Alex Kilpatrick and Kathleen Simpson managed to diversify themselves and engage in lively debate.

Kilpatrick began by emphasizing his current role as communications assistant for the AMS, joking, “Student engagement is how I pay my bills.” Both in his introduction and throughout the entire debate, he underlined that his intents lie in short-term goals to pursue tangible, immediate effects. 

Simpson described her current role as associate vice-president external, working with the VP external in the AMS and her much more long-term goals of increasing the affordability of post-secondary education and implementing a stand-alone sexual assault policy at the provincial level.

The first question asked was about their opinions on long-term versus short-term goals. Simpson said that while she plans to stay true to her long-term goals, she will also balance that with smaller initiatives. Kilpatrick maintained that “long term goals are sexy,” but that he won’t chase them in lieu of pursuing the shorter-term goals that he sees as having more benefits for students.

Simpson rebutted, stating VP external cannot ignore the long-term goals by the very nature of the job. Kilpatrick remained confident that not only are short-term goals more affordable to pursue, but that they also can push back things that should be prioritized more. He mentioned the U-Pass – here, Simpson was quick to rebut again, pointing out that the U-Pass cannot be renegotiated at this time. Kilpatrick came back again, noting that the U-Pass was only his example as to the reach that short-term goals can have.

An audience member then posed a hard-hitting question, asking candidates if the coming year’s VP external budget will continue to be used for the infamous trips to Paris and Ottawa this past school year. Simpson responded that she would keep out-of-province trips to the minimum, while Kilpatrick used that chance to again bring up that long-term goals are expensive.

The final round of discussion centred around Simpson’s previously mentioned goal of assisting in implementing a stand-alone sexual assault policy at UBC. She plans to lobby the provincial government and highlighted systems in Manitoba that have a specific sexual assault policy marked as mandatory for universities. Manitoba also insists that these policies be evaluated and refreshed as needed every three years, which Simpson said is an excellent idea for British Columbia to employ as well.

Kilpatrick did not offer too much in the way of new insight on sexual assault policy initiatives, but did mention that the AMS’s Sexual Assault Support Centre is doing great work and should be utilized further. He suggested reaching out to other student unions at schools throughout BC.