Candidate Profile: Kaidie Williams, Senate

Kaidie Williams is a third-year international relations student minoring in economics. She has experience as a residence advisor and in the UBC Model United Nations. If elected, she hopes to bring a fresh perspective to Senate and focus on transparency and mental health.

Describe your platform and what sets it apart from your opposition in a few sentences.

I would define my platform as transparency, in light of recent events in the Board of Governors and everything that has been happening in UBC. I think that there has really been a disconnect between the AMS and the student body. My platform, first and foremost, is to bridge that gap, and to create more engagement between those two bodies. My second platform would be mental health. I think that mental health needs to be a part of every ... academic policy that we have at UBC. I think that’s what sets my platform apart, and I think that for me, it’s just not setting my platform apart but me, as an individual, and the skills that I bring to the table, also contributes to my platform. You have to have someone who’s flexible, someone who knows how to get voices and bring those voices across.

How have you been involved with the AMS before, and how will this help you? 

To be honest, I have not been involved with the AMS. I think that’s also what sets me apart as well. Coming from a background, where I’ve just been involved as a residence advisor, UBC in exchange, as well as clubs on campus, I think that I bring a different perspective to the role. I think that I bring enough fresh perspective because I’m not very familiar with everything that the AMS does, because I’ve been not as involved with everyone.

What are the challenges facing this position in the upcoming year?

Trying to have feasible policies. Even just campaigning, it’s really nice to dream, and I think, “I’d like this to happen,” but actually seeing it through would be an issue. It’s also the end of a triennium. Things are going to turn around once again. Also considering that there are previous student senators, they might not necessarily be returning with fresh new ideas, so we also have to re-consider going along with those ideas, as well as what is and is not feasible. I’m standing up and opposing policies that I think are not feasible. I think not having that AMS background will also prove a problem for me, but it’s a challenge that I’m more than willing to accept.

Who is the most important body or person you need to collaborate with in this position, and how will you foster a relationship with them?

The most important bodies will definitely be the faculty members, most importantly the deans. In order to create a united front for the student body, we definitely need to have tight links among us. It’s important to work together. Everyone has something to bring to the table, and I think that’s very important — working together with each other as a student caucus, with representatives from the faculty who bring a faculty specific perspective.

What three committees would you like to sit on as a senator, and why?

I want the mental health committee because I feel like I can really contribute. I don’t want to be in a committee where I’m not going to be an asset. I am also interested in the student awards committee, because I want to make sure students with mental health issues are given fair treatment in terms of accessibility. Since mental health also comes under the idea of accessible education I would be an asset to this committee. 

Interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.