Honouring Queer beginnings: The Ubyssey's 2022 Pride guide

Happy Pride month! The Ubyssey has compiled a list of resources at UBC and within Metro Vancouver for Queer people to celebrate being Queer and allies to show their support.

UBC courses

CSIS 300A: Introduction to Critical Studies in Sexuality

This course, developed by the Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice, provides students with an entryway into learning about sexuality at the university level.

GRSJ 316: Queer and Trans of Colour Theorizing

This course focuses on the impact of Queer and Trans people of colour theorizing and its ties to gender and sexual politics, feminism and Indigenous and diaspora studies.

FINS 456: Indigenous Two-Spirit and Queer Studies

This course explores scholarship, art and literature related to Queer and Two Spirit Indigenous people in academic and day-to-day contexts.

Campus community

Pride Collective

This student-led AMS resource group organizes events, provides resources and fosters inclusive spaces for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community on campus. It also runs weekly discussion groups open to students. You can find the Pride Collective in the resource lounge at NEST 2103.

UBC Drag 

UBC Drag is a student-run group that brings Queer nightlife to UBC students. It typically hosts drag shows bi-weekly at Koerner’s Pub. It also provides ‘pay-what-you-can’ tickets to students, no questions asked. Its next show is on July 13.

UBC Equity and Inclusion Office (EIO)

According to its website, the EIO’s mission is “to advance equity and human rights at UBC by promoting diversity, eliminating discrimination, and engaging the community in dialogue and action.”

CiTR Gender Empowerment Collective

Intersections, a show by CiTR’s Gender Empowerment Collective, talks gender, race and social justice every two weeks.

Metro Vancouver

Vancouver Pride Society (VPS)

VPS is a organization that strengthens and builds connections within the city’s 2SLGBTQIA+ community through large-scale events like the Pride Parade (which is on July 31). It strives to build community through advocacy and fundraising.

QMUNITY

This non-profit organization provides support and connection for Queer people with the goal of improving the wellbeing of Queer, Trans and Two Spirit communities across the Lower Mainland.

2Spirits of BC

Founded by Four Feathers Society, 2Spirits of BC hosts events for Two Spirit people across BC.

Big Bro’s Barbershop

Founded in 2015, Big Bro’s Barbershop is a Trans owned-and-operated business that opened after raising $9,000 through crowdfunding. Here, people can purchase gender-affirming products and receive haircuts in a safe space.

Van Vogue Jam (VVJ)

VVJ is a Vancouver-based and Queer-founded non-profit working to expand the ballroom scene. It host accessible Vogue jams weekly to build a safe dance culture for 2SLGBTQIA+ BIPOC communities and it holds monthly balls on the last Monday of each month that are open to spectators. u

Polina Petlitsyna is an event organizer and a People Lovers Weekly discussion group co-facilitator for the Pride Collective. 

This list is not exhaustive. Have a resource you’d like to see included? Email blog@ubyssey.ca.