Congress 2019: The Dialager is okay I guess...

Congress of the Humanities of Social Sciences 2019 wouldn’t be complete without a special beverage to go along with it, so Howe Sound brewing has given us the incredibly punny “Dialager” meant to inspire our “circles of conversations” at Congress.

Like a good researcher, I tried it to see if it was any good.

Getting into the “Social Zone” tent outside the Nest was really easy (they didn’t even card me), but alcoholic drink tickets cost $7.50. The beer itself is a standard lager with an IBU (the standard measurement for bitterness) of 18, and an ABV of 5.5 per cent. My sophisticated taste buds immediately likened it to Cariboo, which is also a lager with 5.5 per cent alcohol. The beer was refreshing and not overpowering in any way, which was a nice complement to the light breeze and the live music going on in the tent. It also made me inclined to engage in a circle of conversation, but the beer didn’t make intoxicated me enough to get over any social fears.

The people around me drinking them were engaged in conversation though, and they all looked very smart and professional so I’m sure it does work.

['auto'] Angela O'Donnell

Overall, this beer is too expensive for me to recommend it to anyone, so I would recommend buying a 6-pack of Cariboo for the same effect.

But you can apparently get a pint of the Dialager for $5.40 at The Gallery — so if you’re really curious, I’d recommend saving your money and trying it there.