CiTR aims to digitize their library with funds from annual Fundrive

Last year's annual CiTR Fundrive raised money for their future move to the new SUB, but this year they turn their eye to the past and raising money to digitize their library.

To commemorate their week­-long mission to raise $40,000 from February 26 to March 6, CiTR hosts the annual Fundrive Finale in honour of members, volunteers, musicians, artists, listeners and students. But before the beer is poured, the community should know where every nickel and dime from Let’s Get Digital is going.

While last year’s Fundrive opted to fund the relocation of the station to the new SUB, this year's Let’s Get Digital campaign will focus on transcribing CiTR’s content onto “a site that people can actually maneuver,” said Eleanor Wearing, student executive president of CiTR.

Their stash includes reel-­to-­reel tapes of programs dating as far back as 1947. “It’s hard to go back to the history of things. Once you make it accessible, it gives this incredible context of how far CiTR has come,” said Wearing.

As she conducts her daily station tour, Wearing revealed a music library comprised of a vinyl sea and over 35,000 CDs. The vinyls will remain untouched, but this year’s Fundrive proceeds will digitize everything else in order to streamline programming and song selection.

“We’re over halfway there,” said Peter Doolin, one of CiTR’s digital library coordinators. Digitizing content is laborious and, as he swivels in his chair alongside a stack of CDs, he said “I’ve put in 10 hours a week since September.”

Despite popular belief, local music isn’t all CiTR has to offer. With over 90 programs, the station treads on social justice issues, hosts programs in different languages and promotes events for shows in the community.

“People can access podcasts and watch interviews,” said Wearing of the website. “So CiTR stays relevant and becomes easier for people to share.”

“To increase the value for everybody,” said Wearing. “We make free ads for all UBC clubs and groups, depending on what they’re doing on campus. The site will make all the incredible work we do much more visible and accessible.”

The evening of the finale marks the final date to offer pledges. “It’s everyone together that makes it happen. If you want to give us $1, awesome. If you want to give us $1,000, amazing. It’s the people and the power of numbers, and that’s what we say when we’re pitching on air,” said Wearing.

But all work aside, Wearing encourages everyone to witness this year’s Rock and Roll Lottery, where local bands must draw names from a hat at the start of Fundrive and create music with their new assembly for the Finale.

“We did it for last year’s Finale, and it was one of the best shows I went to all year.”

In addition, a silent auction will feature prizes from local retailers in the realm of ice cream vouchers and ukuleles, and all proceeds will top up the money raised. As of March 4, CiTR has fundraised close to $22,000.

Prepare to pour some drinks (and maybe donations) because the Fundrive Finale will rock the city at 9 p.m. on Friday March 6 at Pat’s Pub. The venue is 19+, and wheelchair accessible. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 upon entry.

“People care so much about CiTR, and it gives you so much energy and enthusiasm to keep doing it because this matters to people, and thats f­­­'in’ awesome.”