What the language you're studying says about you

UBC is the most international university in Canada, and that comes with some amazing language departments. But do you really want to take a language class? Sure, you’re able to learn a new language and immerse yourself in culture, but who wants to take classes in a language you don’t care about?

From tuition to books, tutors and endless coffee runs to get you through the day, university classes are expensive. So while deciding what language to take in university, you’ve got to make sure that the classes go with your vibe.

French

French is truly a beautiful language. “Mon amour,” “la vie en rose,” “lire l’Ubyssey.” But let’s be honest. The only reason you’re speaking French is because you love croissants, and only when they’re from the Tim Hortons in the Forestry Building.

Latin

You love languages that are as dead as your social life.

Swedish

Vancouver is the lovechild of Patagonia and 2015 Tumblr. From the “no bad vibes” stickers and hipsters to Birkenstocks and Blundstones, and every Instax Mini in between. If you’re taking Swedish, you’re no exemption.

You probably have a Kanken. It’s probably yellow.

Greek

When I think “Greek”, I think of Mamma Mia and blue seas. But, if you’re taking Greek, you risk seeming like you’re in Greek Life™, and want nothing more than to “connect with your brotherhood.”

I’m not too sure though; it’s all Greek to me.

FNEL (First Nations and Endangered Languages Program)

How does it feel to be the best? Must be nice!

English

As an English major myself, there’s a big difference on what taking English says about you depending on if you’re in a literature or language class.

If you’re in English Literature, how does it feel being the most pretentious person in your friend group? If you’re in English Language and Literature, do you really know what rhetoric means? English Language: just pick up a book.

Sanskrit

See Latin.