UBC Rec hosts annual Lace Up for Kids fundraiser for BC Children's Hospital

UBC Rec is hosting their annual Lace Up for Kids fundraiser tonight at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sport Centre.

The fundraiser is organized largely by 12 student volunteers throughout the year and culminates in the skating celebration tonight. The event is raising money for Rare Disease Research at the BC Children’s Hospitals. The funds will go towards researching diseases that children have that are either very rare or undiagnosed.

About 30 volunteers are helping out at the event tonight.

“[The event] is about two months of fundraising ... culminating in Lace up for Kids — the celebration evening where we invite family, friends and community members," said Alyssa Reyes, the intramural event coordinator with UBC Rec.

Fundraising happens throughout the year, but is mostly concentrated in the last two months. Students have hosted bake sales, dunk tanks, improve nights and charity auctions. The fundraising culminates tonight at carnival that will host ice skating, a silent action, performances and games. It is open to students, faculty and the public.

“This year, we turned it into a little more of a carnival … $5 admission gets you free skating, games, performances [and] a silent auction which we are really excited about."

The event has currently raised $27,823.94 and has set a goal of $60,000. Donations are accepted throughout the year.