High expectations among Homecoming celebrations

UBC Homecoming is making a comeback on Friday, September 23 for the first fully in-person celebration since 2019. Embrace your blue and gold swag and bring your best school spirit and cheer to the football game, the season’s most looked-forward varsity event.

The game kicks off at 7 p.m. at the Thunderbird Stadium as UBC football hosts the University of Regina Rams in what’s looking to be a season-vindicating match.

The fifth-ranked ‘Birds (1–2) started off the season with a 30–21 fourth quarter comeback win over the Alberta Golden Bears. Since then, the team has had a rough couple of weeks, dropping away games to the Saskatchewan Huskies and Manitoba Bisons.

The T-Birds were ranked third in the Canada West coaches poll this year, and this game will be a test to the success of the ‘Birds this season. The Rams (2–1) are currently third in the conference. The last time the two teams played, the T-Birds narrowly beat the Rams 31–30 in an incredible overtime comeback.

Coming off of a two-game losing streak, a win for the ‘Birds would help the team regain their momentum and set them on track for the remainder of the season.

During the match, there will be food and drinks, a half-time performance and what is claimed to be the largest t-shirt toss at UBC including prizes such as T-Bird merch, Vessi shoes, lululemon goodies and Amazon gift cards.

General or field side tickets are $5, concession stand tickets (for seniors, UBC Students, staff, faculty, alumni and UNA residents) are $10 and stand tickets for adults (19+) are $15.

Planned around the homecoming battle are some additional festivities. The Calendar’s pre-party starts at 3:30 p.m. in the Nest and the subsequent Trek to the game will be at 4:30 p.m. Once at the stadium parking lot, students can expect food trucks, booths and a live DJ at the Street Party, which starts at 5 p.m.

If that wasn’t already enough, AMS Events is hosting an afterparty at 10 p.m. at The Pit to top off the weekend of celebratory fun.

Hope you are coming to Homecoming 2022!