Science Literacy Week 2020: What’s going on this week

Ready to embrace your inner scientist? Science Literacy Week 2020 is here!

SciLit Week is an annual event led by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada that encourages people in Canada to learn more about the science that makes our country tick. With this year’s theme of biodiversity, there will be a wide range of virtual and in-person events hosted across Canada from September 21 to 27.

During the week, universities, libraries, museums, science centres and other partners come together to bring to you an annual celebration of Canadian science. As the majority of events will be online this year, you can easily join in from the comfort of your own home.

The theme changes each year, and 2020 brings fun activities and various resources for exploring the different domains and species nurtured by Canada’s diverse ecosystems. By attending one or more of these events, we hope you may gain a new appreciation for the environment we live in. But most importantly, we want you to enjoy your time with science.

Let’s check out some events hosted by UBC!

UBC Library

What is that Wildflower?! workshop

Time: September 21, 6 p.m.

A hands-on workshop to identify plants with Wildflower Search. Both free and family friendly, the event comes with optional homework for bonus points: take a photo of the plant you want to identify and bring it to the workshop!
Event link

Citizen Science Tools workshop

Time: September 23, 11 a.m.–1 p.m.

In this workshop, you will be familiarized with the concept of citizen science, discover numerous projects to participate in and learn about the tools you’ll need as a citizen scientist out in the wild.
Event link

UBC Library has curated book lists, films and even origami resources for you to explore and broaden your knowledge of biodiversity. You can even join in on a scavenger hunt hosted by UBCO.

Beaty Biodiversity Museum

Beaty hosts three events during SciLit Week, including a virtual tour and online exhibits.

Beaty@Home Live: Weekly Museum Tour

Time: September 23, 1–1:45 p.m.

A virtual tour led by interpreters, but you choose the topic! There will be museum history, biodiversity basics, UBC biodiversity research and much more.
Event link

Researchers Revealed

Time: Whenever!

A project about current biodiversity research and the scientists behind it. It’s a chance to get a glimpse into what scientists at the Biodiversity Research Centre are working on, whether they’re looking through a microscope or sailing on a research boat.
Exhibit link

Sturgeon Harpoon Knowledge Web

Time: Whenever!

Brought to you by the Beaty Biodiversity Museum and the Musqueam First Nation, this exhibit redefines the notion of ecosystem. It features the elk, sea lion, eagle, fir, scouring rush and sturgeon in the context of Musqueam culture, all of which comprise an intricate web of knowledge.
Exhibit link

The Pacific Museum of Earth

Online tours that display nifty science-y collections will be conducted on three different dates:

Time: September 21, 10 a.m.
Zoom link

Time: September 23, 6 p.m.
Zoom link

Time: September 26, 10 a.m.
Zoom link