AMS Decoded: What to look for in the September 28 AMS Council meeting

Every few weeks, your elected student government meets on a Wednesday night to talk about issues concerning the AMS. Agenda items can seem long, mysterious and confusing without the proper background, making it difficult to see how these issues affect students. Here’s what to watch out for in the upcoming AMS Council meeting on September 28, 2016.

Laserfiche

Council will be receiving a presentation on Laserfiche — the AMS’s recently implemented archiving software — and considering a motion to approve the expenditure of up to $20,000 over three years of maintenance that will come from the Capital Projects Fund. Laserfiche is an ongoing project that Council has been discussing for about two years and it's meant to make AMS documents more accessible to the student body at large.

Officer structure

Council will have a discussion period on the proposed officer structure coming out of the governance review. Officers would represent specific interest groups on Council, such as commuter students, Indigenous students and international students, to name a few. Council is currently in the process of determining how these roles will interplay with the advocacy committee and other student groups on campus.

Clubs resource fund

On the recommendation of the vice-president administration, Council will vote on a code change to establish the AMS Clubs Resource Fund, which will be administered by the newly formed operations committee. The fund will be used to support all clubs and will attain its revenue from fees paid by clubs.

Ian Sapollnik is a third-year economics student, a member of the UBC Vancouver Senate and a member of AMS Council. The views presented are his own.