AMS Decoded: What to look for in the March 14 Council meeting

Every few weeks, your elected student government meets on a Wednesday night to talk about issues concerning the AMS. Agenda items can seem long, mysterious and confusing without the proper background, making it difficult to see how these issues affect students. Here’s what to watch out for in the upcoming AMS Council meeting on March 14:

Elections results

Each year, after the AMS has conducted its annual general elections, the results are presented to Council. While no formal motion is required to adopt the results, this presentation is taken as the election results becoming binding upon the organization.

Budget reforecast

As part of an effort to more accurately predict the financial results of the AMS ahead of the year’s end, the VP Finance will be presenting on ongoing efforts on the budget reforecast. This is coupled with the transition between the newly elected VP Finance, who will assume office at the beginning of May, and the outgoing VP Finance, who will prepare a preliminary budget for the new VP Finance to work with.

2013 grad class gift

Following up on comments made at a Council meeting in February, Council will be considering the approval of an MoU to create a statue entitled “When Women Rise.” The statue stems from the graduating class of 2013’s gift.

Jakob Gattinger, a fourth-year applied science student, is the former VP Academic and University Affairs pro tem for the AMS and a current member of Council for engineering, as well as a student senator.