Sole VPAUA candidate talks equity, engagement and sexual violence policies at Great Debate

During the Great Debate, uncontested VP AUA candidate Kamil Kanji spoke about his goals to increase equity, engagement and was criticized for his voting record on sexual violence policies. 

When asked how he would practically implement the listening sessions promised in his platform, Kanji said he would ensure that he sat down every month with groups on campus to go through their priorities and work with them throughout the year. 

Kanji said it is important to have "these conversations with these student groups on campus to ensure that I'm incorporating as much of what their priorities are into my executive goals."

His platform also includes a goal to add seats to the Indigenous Strategic Implementation Committee. 

When asked how he would implement this, Kanji did not provide a clear answer, but said he wanted to add student seats. He said this expansion would allow more Indigenous students to be involved in the execution of the plan. 

"The Indigenous Strategic Plan is one of the most effective tools we have right now to ensure that we're promoting widespread equity for Indigenous students on this campus," said Kanji. 

Kanji was also asked how he would address students' concerns surrounding sexualized violence prevention and policies as they are not emphasized in his platform. 

Kanji said he is a part of the revision process for the AMS Sexual Violence Policy (PC2), and would leverage this experience in his role as VPAUA.

He also said it is important to consult with the groups "that do a lot of the on-the-ground work like SASC."

Kanji said he has spoken with the former VP AUA Dana Turdy to discuss the review of PC2 and thinks it is important to continue these conversations “to better understand what priorities were around that and how to ensure that we can continue to incorporate that into the work that we do related to the review.”

One audience member asked how Kanji would support the Sexual Assault Support Center (SASC) and survivors when he abstained from voting to endorse SASC's referendum last year,  a fee increase to support the center following  a spike in usage. 

Kanji said he believed he voted in favour of the referendum. He, however, did abstain

Kanji said he strongly supported the SASC’s work. 

"I have a great deal of respect for the work that the members of the SASC put into... efforts related to sexual assault prevention and sexual assault education."