UBC submits revised Carey College expansion permit following tree removal concerns

UBC has submitted a revised development permit for an expansion project of Carey Theological College after community members voiced concern with the original submission’s plan to remove trees.

Carey College — a non-profit theological school with an affiliation to UBC — submitted a development permit application in January to build two new student residences. But, in February, a petition signed by over 20,000 people blocked construction on the project to prevent the removal of 31 trees on the north side of Walter Gage road and the west side of Wesbrook Mall — an area which is owned by the college.

"The trees need to be saved for the preservation of UBC's unique biodiversity and for future generations to cherish," the petition read.

In response to the petition, Paul Williams, the development manager of Carey College, said in February the need for housing among students was also an important issue and that the proposal planned to replace the removed trees by two-to-one, which is more than UBC’s policy of one-to-one.

In a statement sent to The Ubyssey in October, Grant Miller, director of planning, development services at UBC Campus and Community Planning, said the new application was nevertheless revised to incorporate feedback from the public, including moving one of the residence buildings eight feet west to protect the existing ecosystem in the area.

Miller said the new application also takes into account concerns regarding height and density of buildings which will take up parking space on Lot 42 at 5920 Iona Drive. To adjust building footprints, the vehicle drop-off area has been removed and sidewalk designs have been modified — which also protects 12 more trees.

He added that the new application will address concerns around traffic and noise from construction, as well as provide more clarity on “the proposed uses and occupancies of the new facilities.”

According to Miller, the amended proposal to the Chancellor Place Neighbourhood Plan will be presented to the UBC Board of Governors for approval in December, and then it will be reviewed by the UBC Development Permit Board in January 2023.

This is not the first time UBC has revised a development project following concerns around planned tree removal.

In 2019, UBC cancelled plans to construct a new Arts Student Centre on the UBC Bosque — the grove of trees next to the Life Building — following public outcry. The completed centre opened across the street from Buchanan E in November 2021.