The AMS's Annual General Meeting is on Monday — what is it?

The AMS is hosting its annual general meeting (AGM) on Monday, October 31.

The AGM is held to inform students of important updates from the AMS. Unlike AMS Council or committee meetings, the AGM gives students the ability to provide direct input on things they care about.

At this year’s AGM — which is will run from 3 to 5 p.m. — the AMS will vote on six motions, but only three are on topics that are important to students. One would formalize the AMS’s support for the CUPE 2278’s campaign to unionize academic student workers, one would call on UBC for sustainable funding for food security initiatives and one would call for a tuition freeze or reduction.

The other three motions are to approve the meeting’s agenda, financial statements and auditors and a report from the president and managing director.

In order for the three more important motions to pass at this year’s AGM, the AMS will need to reach a quorum of one per cent of its membership (around 600 students) — something that has been a challenge almost every year.

The AMS last reached quorum in 2020 when it offered $4,000 in prizes to attendees. 2014 was the last year before that.

The AMS has budgeted $5,000 for this year’s AGM after last year’s $4,000 was unsuccessful in bringing students out.

At the October 27 AMS Council meeting, AMS President Eshana Bhangu said this year’s prize money will be used to provide 10 students with a $500 tuition credit.

Bhangu did not explain why the AMS increased this year’s prize budget when asked by The Ubyssey in a request for additional comment, but pointed students to the AMS’s website to learn more about the meeting.