How UBC students plan to spend their 2022 winter break

With the COVID-19 travel restrictions lifted, yuletide celebrations are in full swing among UBC students as they get ready for break.

After two years of smaller festivities due to COVID-19 safety measures, families and friends are making plans on celebrating the holidays and welcoming in 2023 together this year.

While the break hasn't started off strong with the snow-induced flight delays and cancellations at the Vancouver airport, students are still excited to find time to relax and rejuvenate this break.

Nishant Molleti, a first-year science student, said he is excited to return home to his family and friends in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, after experiencing homesickness this term.

“I cannot wait to go back home,” he said. “Dubai is much warmer than Canada, so, it will be a nice change. Also, I want to enjoy some homemade food.”

Pranay Aggarwal, another first-year science student, on the other hand, is staying at his friend’s place in Walter Gage residence, and will not be going back home to Delhi, India. His primary reason for this decision was the short duration of the 14-day break. He also said he didn’t want to have jetlag at the start of classes next term.

“First, I plan on sleeping at least 24 hours,” he said. “Then, I need to do some shopping at the market in Richmond, where I got my winter jacket from. That’s my first priority.”

When asked what they wanted to do for themselves during the winter break, Molleti said he wanted to catch up on some movies — in particular a Hindi film, Andhadhun — that his friend recommended and read some books by Stephen King.

Aggarwal said he wanted to watch Black Panther: Wakanda Forever in the theatre or enjoy reading a Sherlock Holmes book.

“My basic plan is to just be as lazy as I possibly can. I've worked so hard this term. I think I deserve a relaxing break,” Aggarwal said.