Spring graduation is online for a second year, UBC says

Graduation ceremonies will be held virtually again this spring due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions.

In an email sent to students graduating in May, President Santa Ono announced that the online ceremony will be on Wednesday, June 2, 2021. UBC Vancouver students will cross the online stage in the morning, with Okanagan students in the afternoon.

Ono said that the ceremonies this year will feature “some unique components.” Last year’s graduation ceremonies were also held online and featured an address from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“We know graduation is an important event for you to celebrate the completion of your years of study. The format of this celebration does not diminish your achievements and hard work,” Ono wrote.

Ono committed to holding an in-person graduation ceremony for the class of 2021 at a date to be determined. The class of 2020 is also still waiting for its in-person ceremony.

“The health and wellbeing of our UBC community remain our first priority, and we are embarking on planning for on-campus activities, in collaboration with public health,” Ono wrote.

“We will advise you on our plans to hold an in-person graduation ceremony for the Class of 2021 when we have more information.”