A poopy predicament: Students voice frustration over cleanliness of IKB washrooms despite regular cleanings

UBC is a big campus with a lot of smells — and the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre washrooms are particularly stinky, according to students.

Recent online posts have drawn attention to a variety of problems, including wet floors and counters, clogged sinks and toilets, and bad odours.

“I find that it's quite a high-traffic bathroom,” Fahmia Rahman, a second-year arts student commented, “but even other … high-traffic locations like within the Nest … Those ones are always fine and clean.”

“There's a smell in that bathroom,” she added. “It smells like if you just never cleaned the room.”

Online, users have commented that those using the washrooms must also take responsibility to keep spaces clean due to the high-volume of visitors.

Matthew Ramsey, director of university affairs at UBC Media Relations, said in a written statement to The Ubyssey that the IKB facilities are “cleaned nightly and serviced daily throughout building operational hours.”

“Intermittent servicing of campus washrooms throughout operational hours is scheduled at high traffic buildings only, such is the case at IKB,” he added.

Gavin Fung, a first-year Sauder student, noted that IKB is relatively new and clean. “Based off [of] the building, you’d think [the washrooms would] be pretty nice.”

IKB opened in 2008, expanding on the original library built in 1923. The washrooms in question are part of the new section of the building, and have up-to-date plumbing systems.

“I wonder … if it's a nice building like this,” Fung continued, “how often are custodians cleaning it?”

Ramsey also encouraged students to contact Building Operations through Fix My Space by phone at 604.822.2173 or through Twitter at @UBCFixMySpace.

“UBC’s custodial staff work hard to make sure facilities across campus are clean so it’s good to know where there may be concerns.”