The Killing of a Journalist at VIFF: Press freedom, democracy and organized crime in post-independence Slovakia

“An attack on a journalist is an attack on all of us.”

UNESCO reported that 340 journalists have been murdered worldwide between the years 2018 and 2022. Whether in a democratic or authoritarian state, press freedom is under attack, especially when it comes reporting on government corruption and organized crime.

The Killing of a Journalist is a documentary directed by Matt Sarnecki that follows the events leading up to the 2018 murder of the Slovakian investigative journalist, Ján Kuciak and his fiancé Martina Kušnírová, and the political storm (which was more like a tsunami and hurricane happening simultaneously) that erupted thereafter.

From the get-go, Sarnecki took viewers on an emotional rollercoaster with interviews with Kuciak and Kušnírová’s parents sharing memories of their beloved children. Kuciak’s parents in particular smiled as they spoke about their late son, appearing strong and determined for justice — even as they revealed that Kuciak and Kušnírová had planned to wed the week of their funerals.

From invasive video surveillance to uncovering the corruption of the highest government officials, Sarnecki tells us a story of the illusion of a liberal society in Slovakia. The Killing of a Journalist demonstrates how even in a so-called democratic country in Central Europe, oligarchies control the political parties like puppets.

Surveillance videos of Kuciak and Kušnírová disturbingly revealed how the spy recording them caught their most mundane yet vulnerable acts of domestic life, like an ominous family home video. Still, Kuciak and Kušnírová went about their daily lives fearlessly. Evidently, the ethics of including this invasion of privacy comes into question. Could the film have omitted this and still illustrate the severity of the stalking?

Kuciak was one of the reporters investigating the illegal money flows of businessman Marian Kočner, who is suspected to have ordered the murder of Kuciak and Kušnírová. His investigations found Kočner’s connection with government officials of the highest standing.

Sarnecki flawlessly portrayed Kočner as an obnoxious mobster through press clips of Kočner acting obscenely each time his name was mentioned.

Through scenes of protest and outrage from citizens reacting to the exposure of the blatant corruption between the police, the judicial system and the presidency, Sarnecki illustrated how citizens were torn between the incompetent opposition or the former corrupt government.

Unexpectedly, much of the film’s emotional impact came from Kuciak’s colleagues sharing how the investigations into the murder triggered an avalanche of evidence exposing the political elite — which unfortunately Kuciak was not alive to see.

The guilt and heavy sadness Kuciak’s colleagues’ expressed for “not doing enough to protect him” exhibited the cherished relations and bonds between journalists during times in which their profession is being violently suppressed.

If you are passionate about holding power to account, you should watch this film! The Killing of a Journalist embarks on a journey of truth-seeking journalism, the influence money has on politicians and the messy webs of government corruption.