Getting out and about in September: The Ubyssey's arts and culture calendar

Welcome (back) to campus! The Ubyssey has some recommendations for music, movies and more in the first couple weeks of September. We try to keep it accessible on a student budget and within the Lower Mainland. Wearing masks indoors is encouraged.

This is an updating document - check back throughout the month for new event listings!

Vancouver Black Library (VBL) Opening Party (September 2, 1 p.m.–5 p.m., Sun Wah Centre)

The VBL, founded by UBC student Maya Preshyon is a library and community hub by and for black Vancouver. The opening party will feature ribbon-cutting and performances by Hoodie Browns, Haleluya Hailu, DANI YOUR DARLING and DJs — followed by an afterparty.

Free admission, RSVP required

Hi-5 Queer Dance Party (September 2, 9 p.m.–1 a.m., 550 Malkin Ave)

Join event organizers Queers + Beers for a night of dancing, drag, and cheap(er) alcohol. The venue is wheelchair-accessible and trained 'buddies' will be present with Narcan, safer sex supplies and anti-oppressive support.

$5 cover, 19+,

Victory Square Block Party (September 4, 2 p.m.— 9 p.m., Victory Square Park @ Cambie and W. Hastings)

This free block party, co-organized by UBC's own CiTR radio station, will include hours of live music from independent local artists including Big City, Cherry Blu and Megamall — as well as a raffle for merch prizes from a multitude of beloved community organizations. The park is grass, with a wheelchair-accessible sidewalk. There will also be an afterparty at Red Gate Arts Society.

Free, all-ages

Vancouver Fringe Festival (September 8 – 18, various locations on Granville Island)

BC’s biggest theatre festival features 11 days of stand-up comedy, one-man musicals, and experimental performances. The schedule is available here.

$15 per show, all-ages.

The Calendar’s Garden Party (September 5, 3 p.m.– 9 p.m., UBC Farm)

UBC event organizers The Calendar, will throw its annual garden party on Labour Day Monday. Expect fairy lights, refreshing drinks and to fight tooth and nail for tickets.

$15–35

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (September 10, 11 p.m, The Rio Theatre)

The campy cult classic Rocky Horror will screen at the Rio Theatre — audience participation and whacky costumes encouraged.

$16, all-ages

City Opera Vancouver’s Chinatown (September 13 – Friday, September 16, 6:30 p.m, 600 Hamilton Street)

Written in English, Cantonese and Hoisan combined, Chinatown will be an intergenerational epic opera which addresses anti-Asian racism, resistance, family, and the past and future of a neighborhood.

$20, all-ages

AMS Welcome Back BBQ (September 16, 4 PM — 9:30 PM, UBC)

Pitched as the largest university music festival in Western Canada, the 36th Annual Welcome Back BBQ will include food trucks and games booths, along with performances from headliner French Montana, along with rapper Fivo Foreign, electronic music DJ trio Cheat Codes, rapper Boslen and artists Mickey Weeks and Peak.

Tickets for UBC students range from $35 (Super Early Bird) to $ 65. Tickets for the public start at $70. First-year students can purchase Firstweek Kits ( with an all-access wristband to all Firstweek events) and Welcome Back BBQ tickets for $99 total. All-ages.

ʔəm̓i ce:p xʷiwəl (Come Toward the Fire) Festival (September 17–18, UBC)

The Chan Centre and Musqueam will host a new Indigenous festival to “showcase the voices of Indigenous artists, performers, musicians, speakers, and dance groups from Musqueam and from Indigenous nations across Turtle Island (North America).” The festival will culminate in a performance at the Chan Centre by acclaimed musician and speaker Buffy Sainte-Marie.

Free admission, all-ages

Scotiabank Dance Centre Open House (September 17, 11 a.m. — 5 p.m.)

A Saturday of free dance workshops downtown, in global styles including K-pop, bhangra and tap.

Free admission, all-ages

Sissy That Wok (September 23, 6:30 p.m. — 9 p.m., Museum of Vancouver)

Vancouver's first all-Asian drag family, House of Rice, will perform in conversation with the Museum of Vancouver's Seat at the Table exhibit, which explores narratives Chinese migration, discrimination, culture and community in BC. House of Rice will put on an exciting show, followed by a panel discussion to interrogate histories of gender, beauty standards and race.

$25 for students, all-ages.

— with files from Manya Manholtra.