From the Cult: Presidential interviews

Look at these people running for president of the AMS. They get some fancy photos and profiles and get to talk to Ubyssey News about their platform points. But what is their favourite building? Have they ever seen Nardwuar? Do they prefer Blue Chip or Loafe? We asked them some of the most hard-hitting questions we could think of to provide YOU with the answers.

Cole Evans

What do you normally order when you go to a coffee shop?

Starbucks is a consistent Caramel Macchiato, but everywhere else is a London Fog.

What is the best building on campus?

The Life Sciences building is by FAR the best on campus. I dream of those glass atriums and long, luscious tables.

What is the worst building on campus?

The Math Building, no contest. Not only is it older than the Earth itself, but I also always get lost in it :(. Just an overall garbage building with garbage experiences.

Blue Chip or Loafe?

On the record: Blue Chip. Off the record: Loafe.

What was the best trend of the 2010s?

I’m gonna get hate for this, but I loved Vine. TikTok has been filling the void, but Vine is the real OG. Not a fan of all the terrible/cringe creators it spawned though (see: Jake and Logan Paul, Gabbie Hanna, King Bach, etc. etc. etc.)

Have you ever seen Nardwuar in real life?

No, but I do stay up until 4am watching compilations of rappers losing their minds over memories of their 8th grade best friend.

Without looking it up, what is the capital of Belarus?

Minsk. Capital cities are my SHIT.

Punk or country?

I’d usually take a pass on this one, but as a Calgarian I am legally obliged to say country music.

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

What kind of sadistic question is this?

Ian Stone

Vanilla Latte to drink, and some kind of cookie/pastry — those confetti shortbread cookies at Starbucks are really fucking good.

What is the best building on campus?

Forestry is a solid contender: very chill vibe, has a Tim's in it and great rooms for studying, and the greenery and wood reminds me of my home in Newfoundland.

What is the worst building on campus?

There's always lots to complain about, but the Math Annex and Swing Space's tiny hallways/stairs suck for getting in and out of class, so maybe one of those?

Blue Chip or Loafe?

Profits from Blue Chip go towards AMS Services so I'm probably obliged to say that — aside from that, service is fast and the Java Nut cookies are solid.

What was the best trend of the 2010s?

This is a tough one. I think dabbing and saying YOLO will stand the test of time, if you want to define those as "best".

Only behind the glass of CiTR one time — if I win President, can I get an interview with him?

Guess I'm not getting much out of my Poli Sci degree because I don't really know, but I'll guess something that starts with a B.

Punk or country?

Punk all the way. Some of my fondest memories of junior high school were of downloading sketchy mp3s from Limewire of bands like The Used and Good Charlotte with my friends, then going outside and trying to do skateboard tricks (I wasn't great tbh).

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

I'm gonna trust the experts on this one: according to The Atlantic, "a literary and cultural commentary magazine that publishe[s] leading writers' commentary", it is not.

Harresh Thayakaanthan

I go for anything that has caramel in it.

What is the best building on campus?

Beaty Biodiversity Museum because there's a funny looking owl in there.

What is the worst building on campus?

Any building with construction around it. #UniversityofBuildingConstruction

Blue Chip or Loafe?

I'm a cookie fiend so obviously Blue Chip!!

What was the best trend of the 2010s?

Flappy Bird. LOL.

Nope, but wish I have.

I couldn't tell you to save my life.

Punk or country?

After going to Calgary 3 times in the past year, kinda grew a liking to country.

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Honestly it doesn't matter, it's all food to me.