Arts and Culture Calendar: Black History Month Events in Vancouver

The beginning of February marks the start of Black History Month – a time to reflect on and honour the history and impact of the Black community across campus and beyond.

Local organizations have numerous film screenings, concerts and other events occurring throughout the month to celebrate and commemorate Black History Month. Here are a selection of events, on-campus and across the city, to add to your calendar.

Double feature: Black Girl and Malcolm X (February 1, Rio Theatre)

See a Black History Month double feature of Ousmane Sembène’s 1966 film Black Girl, which recently appeared at #97 on Sight and Sound’s poll of the Greatest Films of All Time, and Spike Lee’s 1993 Malcolm X. Student tickets are $15.

Black Canadian History in the Applied Sciences discussion (February 1, UBC Fred Kaiser Building, 3–4:30 p.m.)

The UBC APSCI Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Office is hosting a free discussion on the history of Black Canadian contributions to science, engineering, technology and medicine — and on redressing the racist history of the field.

Club PuSh + The Black Arts Centre (February 3, Performance Works, 9 p.m.)

In collaboration with the PuSh International Performing Arts Festival, the Surrey-based Black Arts Centre will be hosting a “night of dance, collaboration, and community” in the Performance Works space on Granville Island. The Black Arts Centre focuses on supporting young Black artists, and is currently inviting Black artists in BC to join their artist directory.

Vivo Per Questo — Power to the Words — Canada Tour (February 7–8, UBC Green College)

UBC’s Green College and the Department of French, Hispanic and Italian Studies will host a concert by Afro-Italian hip hop artist and activist Amir Issaa. The event on the 7th will include a concert, which will also be livestreamed, an artist Q&A, and a reception. The following day, Issaa will also present two of his books, I Live For This and Rap Education, in the Department of French, Hispanic and Italian Studies.

BIPOC Community Care Circle (February 9, AMS Nest Room 3130, 5—7 p.m.)

The AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) will offer a new biweekly discussion for people of colour to build community and communicate openly about mental health. To register for the group, contact the SASC Support & Advocacy Staff at 604-827-5180 or sasc@ams.ubc.ca or drop by the office at the AMS Nest, Room 3130.

AfroQueer YVR: Black Rave (February 17, Bentall Centre Gallery, 9:30 p.m.)

As a part of the Vancouver Mural Festival’s Winter Arts festival, AfroQueer YVR will be hosting “an ode to black underground dance culture and music,” featuring drag performers and an all-woman DJ line-up. Early bird tickets are sold out, but general admission tickets are still available for $22.23.

Black Futures: Saul Williams/ Moor Mother/ Irreversible Entanglements (February 25, Chan Centre For The Performing Arts, 8 p.m.–10 p.m.)

Three artists who work “at the outer limits of hip-hop, free jazz, blues, noise, and poetry,” will perform at the Chan Centre. Student tickets start at $13.50.

Lemonade screening (February 27, The Cinematheque, 7 p.m.)

At the end of the month, The Cinematheque and UBC will host a screening of Beyoncé’s 2016 visual album Lemonade as a part of their “Cinema Thinks the World” collaboration, which “aims to explore the ways in which global cinema represents and helps us to think about the world.” The free event will include a screening of the film, followed by a discussion with a panel of speakers including three UBC faculty members: Dr. Kimberly Bain from the Department of English Language and Literatures, and Louis Maraj and Alexis McGee from the School of Journalism, Writing and Media.

— With files from Tova Gaster