PSA: You can get a flu shot on campus this week

Flu shots are being offered at four local pharmacies across campus and at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) COVID-19 booster clinics.

The next VCH COVID-19 booster clinic will be held on November 14 and 15 from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Life Sciences Centre. Flu shots can be booked ahead at this location, with some walk-in availability. Flu vaccines are safe to get at the same time as COVID-19 booster shots.

This year, the province is asking everyone to book their flu shot using its online portal. If you already received a COVID-19 vaccination in BC, you will automatically receive an invitation to get your flu shot from the GetVaccinated system via text. If you aren’t registered, you can do so online with your name, address and personal health number (PHN) located on your BC Services Card.

Besides the VCH clinic, limited walk-in spots are also available on campus for flu shot vaccinations. At the time of publication, only University Pharmacy was open from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for walk-ins. 

This is the first year BC is offering free flu vaccines for everyone, not just at-risk individuals. Early reports suggest this flu season may hit earlier than usual, peaking in November and December. At the same time, exposure to viruses like the flu has been lower in the past due to social distancing and masking during the pandemic, meaning people are more susceptible to getting sick.

Getting vaccinated is the best protection against the flu, or from getting very sick if you do catch it. The vaccine also helps protect vulnerable community members such as children and the elderly. 

It’s never too late to get your flu shot and keep yourself and others safe from the flu!