Pride Week returns to UBC this Friday with an abundance of events

Pride Week is returning to UBC this Friday, January 12. Hosted by The Pride Collective, the week-long celebration is culminated under the theme of “Revelry and Resistance” and will take place over several different locations across campus and around Vancouver.

Most of the events are free and for all ages. Here is a list of events that will be taking place!

Friday January, 12

Opening Flag Raising Ceremony

Time & Location: Life Building (Old SUB) 11:30 a.m.

The opening event will take place in front of the Life Building and will feature the Pride flag being raised.

This event will be accompanied by speeches and a land acknowledgement. After the flag is raised, cake and refreshments will be served in the basement of the Nest.

Saturday January, 13

Queer U

Time & Location: IKB room 261 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Pride Collective will be holding Queer U, an academic conference on sexualities and genders.

The conference will be holding several panels with titles, including “Pushing back against the mainstream: The future is queer” and “Exploring how experiences are shaped by space.”

Pub Night

Time & Location: The Capital, Davie Street 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The celebrations will continue on Saturday night after the academic conference. Get your Saturday started right at The Capital on Davie — everyone is welcome and encouraged to partake in the event.

Monday, January 15

Queer Law 101

Time & Location: The Nest room 2311 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

After a days break, Queer 101 led by Grace McDonnell — a final year law student at Thompson Rivers University — will discuss the current state of queer law in today's society.

Tuesday, January 16

Lemonade & Cheese Art Show with Sasha Ballon

Time & Location: The Nest room 2311 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Highlighting queer art, this show will showcase work from feature artist Sasha Ballon. Various artists will also be selling their work at the show.

Wednesday, January 17

Exploring Kink

Time & Location: The Nest room 2504 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

This workshop will be exploring the basics of kink and BDSM with discussions on consent, communication and relationships. There will also be some hands-on techniques for maximising pleasure.

The workshop will be led by sex educator Melody Anne and consent educator Victor Salmon.

Friday, January 19

Revelry and Resistance: A Drag Extravaganza

Time & Location: The Pit Pub 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

This is one of the only events that is not free and not all ages.

Cover for the drag show will range between $5 and $10, and the night will include two drag shows, a DJ and dancing. The event will also offer a space for amateur drag performers.