Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Last updated: 29 mins ago

UBC women’s basketball team takes down Trinity in home opener

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

The UBC Thunderbirds women’s basketball team started with a strong first quarter and never looked back, toppling the Trinity Western Spartans 76-64 Thursday night at War Memorial Gym.

The ‘Birds relied on their inside defence to force the Spartans into a lot of low-percentage outside shots. The Spartans were 3 of 18 shooting from three-point range.

Despite turning the ball over 24 times—something UBC head coach Deb Huband was unhappy with—the ‘Birds held onto their lead and never trailed in the game.

“I thought we had an average start,” said Huband after the game. “We were lucky to build up a bit of a lead, but we just weren’t very sharp tonight. Defensively, at times, we were solid, but we broke down with individual discipline.”

The ‘Birds led 25-17 after the first quarter in a seemingly one-sided first 10 minutes. The Spartans were only able to stay close in the first frame thanks to a pair of contested three-pointers. The last 30 minutes were played quite evenly between the 2 teams.

“We stopped running and played dumb and that made the game that much harder,” said Huband. “Fortunately we had strong games by some of our post players. We’ve got to be better offensively in moving the ball and carrying the ball and working together as a team on the floor.”