Tuesday, July 29, 2014

T-Birds end skid with win against Alberta, split weekend road trip

Hogan Wong/The Ubyssey

After losing two home games to the No. 2 ranked team in the nation last weekend, the UBC women’s basketball team needed to bounce back. They hit the road this past weekend to face a University of Saskatchewan Huskies team that was in the same predicament as them: the Huskies had also come off of consecutive home losses. However, the T-Birds’ Friday game did not go as planned in Saskatoon, as they fell to the CIS No. 9 ranked Huskies 72-62.

On Saturday, UBC matched up against a University of Alberta Pandas team with an identical 4-3 record. The T-Birds started out with a strong first quarter and jumped out to an early lead that they did not relinquish, rolling to a 71-58 win. After Friday’s loss, UBC head coach Deb Huband thought her team came out strong to prevent themselves from falling to .500.

“It was a hard-fought, character win after a disappointing night in Saskatchewan where we fell flat,” she said. Had the ’Birds lost a fourth straight game, it would have been a very tough past two weeks for the young squad.

“The girls responded with pride, digging deep for energy and resolve. Our defensive effort was much improved and we were able to make scoring a lot tougher than last night’s effort. I’m proud of how our team responded and how hard they competed tonight,” said Huband.

Third-year Kris Young continued with her standout play over the weekend. She finished with 25 points, five assists and four rebounds on Saturday night after compiling a double-double the game before in Saskatoon with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Fifth-year Leigh Stansfield had 19 points and nine rebounds against Alberta, continuing her strong inside play, and first-year Maggie Sundberg also scored in double figures with 12 points.

The T-Birds improved to 5-3 in Canada West play, but will face a tough Calgary team this Friday at 6 p.m. at War Memorial Gym. The squad will wrap up the 2012 portion of their regular season on Saturday against Lethbridge, with tip-off at 5 p.m.