Tuesday, October 21, 2014

T-Birds women’s volleyball sweeps Brandon, clinches first place

Eric Inasi/The Ubyssey

Every time the UBC women’s volleyball team hosts a series at War Memorial Gym, it is contest between David and Goliath—except Goliath wins every single time.

This weekend against the University of Brandon Bobcats was no exception. The ‘Birds (17-1) powered through the Bobcats (8-10) on Friday night in straight sets (25-15, 25-21, 25-14) and then came out even stronger on Saturday night in another straight set victory (25-11, 25-16, 25-13).

With Saturday night’s victory, UBC improved their home record to 13-0, maintaining an immaculate streak that dates back to October 30, 2010.

While the ‘Birds are a team loaded with offensive talent, they displayed against Brandon that they can take down opponents through solid defence and a total team effort.

Over the two game series only one UBC player managed to have a double digit kill performance. Kyla Richey had ten on Friday night.

“I thought especially [Friday] night we played real good team defence,” said UBC head coach Doug Reimer. “I think we really took Brandon out of the flow of their offence. I think the better we can be on [defence] is really going to be important for us moving forward.”

UBC finishes their season next weekend with a road series against Trinity Western. They’ve already clinched first place and will host the Canada West final four at War Memorial. It will be the last chance for someone else in the conference to slay Goliath.