Wednesday, April 16, 2014

T-Birds Women’s Basketball defeats McGill, advances to national semifinals

They have preached defence all year. And in the first game of the CIS Championships, it paid off for UBC.

The women’s basketball team only allowed 11 field goals the entire game, defeating the McGill Martlets 65-43 in the quarterfinals of the national championship in Calgary to advance to Sunday’s semifinals.

The T-Birds made life tough on the no. 7 ranked Martlets early on, limiting them to just 10 points in the first quarter, and UBC was in full control from there on in thanks to a smothering defence, which held McGill to 11 of 60 on shooting attempts for the game.

However, UBC only shot 37 per cent from the field as well, and head coach Deb Huband knows that even though her team has been red-hot—having only lost once in 2012—that part of their game would have to improve.

“The difference was on the defensive end…all year we try and make the difference defensively, and I thought we made a really good effort today,” she said.

“The rest of our game, I think there was a little bit of rust to dust off.”

Fifth-year senior Zara Huntley led UBC with 18 points and 11 rebounds, and underlined Huband’s point. “I think tomorrow we can play a little bit stronger than today.”

But overall, it was a successful day for the T-Birds, who are now just two wins away from their first national championship—known as the “Bronze Baby”—since 2008.

They play the winner of Saskatchewan versus Ottawa tomorrow night at 4pm pacific.