NFL legend Warren Moon to help train struggling Thunderbirds

On Wednesday, NFL and CFL Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon visited UBC to observe two football team practices.

Moon said that he got the opportunity to visit UBC through his connection with David Sidoo, who he played with in the CFL. Sidoo currently heads the 13th Man Foundation, an organization that fundraises for the UBC football program.

Moon watched the team practice in hopes to develop a better picture of UBC’s football program so that he can find ways to support and improve the team in the future.

“I just wanted to kind of flow into practice and see how everything goes and let those guys know that I’m behind them and that they have my support. That’s the big reason behind why I’m here today,” said Moon.

Moon plans to support UBC’s football program in the future by getting involved with the program’s fundraising efforts as well as providing individual assistance for the players on the team. Though a quarterback himself, Moon plans on helping all players.

Blake Nill, head coach of the football team, sees Moon’s immense experience as beneficial to every position on the field.

“This is a man who played, who did everything that he was required to do at the highest level … so I think just the fact that he is here brings a reality into our program,” said Nill.

Moon said that he was overall very impressed with the Thunderbirds’ performance during the practices and he hopes that the team will continue to improve in the upcoming season.

“I think there’s some really good talent out here. I think they (UBC) really upgraded the talent from what’s been here in the past,” said Moon.

Moon was a decorated quarterback who made his illustrious career in the CFL and NFL during the 1980s and 90s. His accolades include nine Pro-Bowl selections as well as five Grey Cup championships. At the time of his retirement, Moon ranked third on the list for all-time passing yards by NFL quarterbacks.