Monday, October 20, 2014

Former T-Bird kicker Billy Pavlopoulos banned after testing positive for steroids

File photo David Elop/The Ubyssey

Former UBC football player Billy Pavlopoulos has recieved a two-year ban for testing positive for an anabolic steroid.

Pavlopoulos, the Thunderbirds’ kicker from 2009–2011, failed an out-of-competition test for the anabolic steroid stanozolol on Jan. 9, 2012, according to the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport.

According to the ruling from the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (SDRCC), Pavlopoulos took a supplement called 1MR on winter break in Ontario. Although he was warned that it may contain a banned substance, his research did not include checking with the manufacturer to ensure the product was clean.

Pavlopoulos has been banned from sport for two years, and though the decision was just delivered by the SDRCC, the provisional ban started on Feb. 12, 2012 and will end Jan. 9, 2014.

—This is a breaking story, and we have updated it in a new story. This article has been updated to clarify Pavlopoulos’ use of 1MR.

• TruthSpeaker

Absolute lies. 1MR is a pre-workout, not a steroid. This guy is clearly a dumbass, and deserved that two year ban. Have fun with BPI getting ahold of this story and their legal team for slander.

• Actualtruthspeaker

Truth speaker. If you read the full hearing results and were not so ignorant. No where does he blame the company, he submitted all of his products for examination and the pre workout showed the positive. He doesn’t target bpi as the problem but that the supplement was contaminated at some point.