Football obliterates Alberta 62-0 for biggest win in team history

After a disappointing Homecoming loss to Regina, the UBC football team travelled to Edmonton to play a crucial game against the University of Alberta Golden Bears.

Desperate for a win, the ’Birds took care of business in convincing fashion, dominating all aspects of the game in a 62-0 victory. The victory sees UBC improve to a 2-2 conference record, while Alberta remains winless after a dismal 0-4 start.

In UBC’s biggest win in team history, quarterback Michael O’Connor threw for an incredible 413 yards and five touchdowns. Thanks to his stellar play, the ’Birds were able to score three touchdowns to go up 22-0 at halftime.

In the fourth quarter, the ’Birds exploded offensively, scoring 33 in the frame to cap off the historic win. The victory margin wasn’t the only record that impressed coach Blake Nill on Saturday. Receiver Marshall Cook tied the UBC record with three touchdown receptions and recorded 82 yards in the game.

In fine form after this stunning win, UBC will look to continue their success with four games remaining. Last season, they were 2-2 at the middle of the season and ended up winning their subsequent eight game en route to the Vanier Cup. Can the ’Birds pull off the improbable once again?

The UBC football team will face the Manitoba Bisons on Friday at Thunderbird Stadium. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.