Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Remembering the penny: Five classic coin games

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Our good friend the penny has finally left us, and now there’s not much use for the little steel and copper coin that bogged down wallets. But before tossing your pennies aside or chucking them in fountains in hopes of magical wishes coming true, why not have a little fun? Here are some of the best games to play with coins.

Football

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

What you need: One coin, a table (longer than two feet, but short enough for you to reach easily to the other side).

How to play:

football

1. Start with a coin touching the edge of the table. Push the coin three times; by the time you’ve pushed it thrice, you want the coin to be hanging off the edge of the other side of the table.
2. If it is hanging, flick the coin up in the air and catch it. If successful, you have scored a touchdown.

football-2

3. This next action is for the extra point. First, spin the coin. Then, before it falls flat, grab the coin between your thumbs. Next, your opponent holds up “field goal uprights” with their hands; attempt to toss the coin through the uprights. If successful, you get the extra point.
4. Take turns. Play until you reach a certain score.

Hockey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

What you need: Three coins, a table with a smooth surface.

How to play:
Sequence-01

1. Start with the coins in front of you in the Mickey Mouse formation (two coins on top and one centred below). Push the bottom coin with enough force that the two top ones slide outwards onto the table.
2. If hit properly, the bottom coin will be pushed forward and the other two will be pushed off to either side. There will be a gap between two of the coins; hit the third coin through that space and toward the goal on the other side of the table (the goal is created by your opponent: they make the “rock on” sign with their hand and place their index and pinkie finger on the table).
3. This process is repeated until a coin is fired into the goal, hits one of the other coins or cannot pass through a gap. When one of those things happen, your turn is over. Play until you reach a certain score.

Bloody knuckles

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

What you need: A coin (a quarter is best, but braver souls might opt for a loonie), a table.

How to play:
1. Spin the coin. The next player must touch the coin to keep it spinning. This continues until someone causes the coin to fall flat.
2. If you cause the coin to fall, place your knuckles on the table. Another player fires the coin as hard as they can at your knuckles.

Pinching pennies

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

What you need: Lots of coins, a wall.

How to play:
1. Stand a specific distance (at least five feet) away from the wall.
2. Each player tosses a coin to the wall. The goal is to get the coin as close to the wall as possible. If you toss your coin closest to the wall, you collect all the coins from that round.

Quarters

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

What you need: One coin per player, a cup or shot glass, something to drink, a table.

1. Sit around a table and place your cup in front of you. Fill the cup up partially with the beverage of your choice.
2. Take turns trying to bounce your coin into the cup of the person on your left. If you get it in, the person must drink the contents of their cup as quickly as possible. (Don’t swallow the coin.)
3. If you successfully bounce the coin into the cup three times in a row, you can make a rule (no saying a certain word, no laughing, etc.) If a player breaks that rule, they must take a drink.