A recap of Matt Hewitt's one-day contract with the Canucks

Yesterday afternoon, Thunderbird Matt Hewitt of the UBC men's hockey team was called up as emergency backup for the Vancouver Canucks, as regular starter Ryan Miller was out with an injury.

The puck dropped at 7 p.m. for the Vancouver Canucks match-up against the St. Louis Blues, which ended in a 2-1 overtime win for the Canucks. Hewitt fit right in like a regular Canuck, as fans excitedly greeted him with high-fives and fist bumps as he came out of the change room.

The fans weren't the only ones who gave him a warm welcome, as the Canucks also did their part in making the fourth-year sociology major feel part of the team.

“They made me feel like one of the boys right off that bat. I got chirped here and there. I didn't mind and I chirped back — that's hockey culture,” said Hewitt.

During both of the Canucks' goals — one of which was retracted under review — Hewitt reached out the farthest out of everyone on the bench to congratulate the players on the ice with a series of fist bumps. While it didn't look like Hewitt spoke to the other players much on the bench, he did appear to be cheerfully chatting up one of the trainers quite a bit during the game.

Although UBC students are just a little bit disappointed they didn't get to see Hewitt hit the ice during the match, it is fortunate for the Canucks that their game starter Jacob Markstrom didn't get injured — despite getting roughed up a bit when the Blues crashed the Canucks' net.

“I saw [Markstrom] go down, but I thought that he was going to be getting up quick so I wasn't worried yet,” said Canucks head coach Willie Desjardins.

“I took a couple deep breaths, but I knew he was okay,” said Hewitt. “That's part of the game — you're getting crashed all the time, especially at such a high level. You're trying to get goalies off their game. Obviously you could think that it could have been my chance, but I'm happy he stuck it out.”

Despite expressing eagerness earlier in the day, Hewitt was cool and professional after the game against the scrum of media around him in the Canucks locker room.

“It's a little bit different walking into a rink when there are a bunch of cameras looking at you, but I came here and and tried to act professional,” he said. Hewitt kept saying, “Words can't describe it. It's a dream come true.”

Hewitt is no stranger to this level of the hockey world. As well as his experience playing in the WHL with the Regina Pats, practicing with the Canucks every so often also helped prepare him for the big leagues.

“I've been fortunate enough to practice with these guys [the Vancouver Canucks] a few times at UBC, so I know the talent that they have. Being able to go out there and skate during warm-up was really huge for me, and something I'll look back at for the rest of my life.”

Although the Thunderbird Arena might feel a bit small after Roger's Arena, there is no doubt that Hewitt will feel at home with the rest of the T-Birds back on campus.

If they ever need me back, they know where to find me — 1-0 so far!”