Thursday, April 24, 2014

Last Words: Logo trouble, sports review and a happy new year

The runner-up for the AMS logo cost a bit less money. Photo illustration CJ Pentland / The Ubyssey

The runner-up for the AMS logo cost a bit less money. Illustration CJ Pentland / The Ubyssey

A gunshot for the AMS

The AMS has spent $8,000 on their new logo as part of a rebranding campaign for the New SUB.

It makes sense that the AMS would want to be rid of their old logo, which was ugly, but it does not make sense that they chose a new logo which is also ugly.

And it’s not just ugly; it’s weird. While it’s supposed to be a take on the AMS’ existing “sun” logo — because UBC is known for being so sunny, presumably — it looks like what you would find after a bullet passed through a sheet of metal.

This issue was brought up at the AMS Council meeting when the logo was approved, but AMS President Caroline Wong said they decided it looked less like a bullet hole than another logo that was considered.

As for the money spent, the price “Your Student Society” paid for professional design is likely not out of line with similar jobs taken on by the company they hired. However, there was absolutely no reason the AMS needed to pay a company to come up with their new logo.

For a student government that prides itself on being in touch with students, the AMS could have found a student to come up with a new design for free. Hopefully when they go through another rebranding campaign in the next couple of years, that is what the AMS will do. But given that its been decades since their last true rebranding, it looks like we’ll be stuck with this one for a while.

All we can say is thank goodness the AMS stopped when they did, rather than spending another $10,000 to $15,000 to license the font originally proposed to accompany the logo.

Sports review finally underway

UBC began the first stages of their sports targeting review last month, kicking off a process that many have been dreading. But while UBC President Stephen Toope confirmed that the number of varsity teams will decrease from its current number of 29, there is little reason to worry that UBC’s major teams are in danger.

UBC said from the start no teams were guaranteed varsity status, and several people took this to mean that sports like football and hockey were on their last legs.

This is, to say the least, an outrageous assumption.

While a team’s impact on campus isn’t the only factor by which teams gain varsity status, it’s pretty obvious that sports like football, hockey and basketball are important to UBC as a whole. UBC men’s basketball is slated to host nationals in 2016 and athletic director Ashley Howard praised the football team at their recent gala and listened to suggestions from wealthy alumni and businesspeople — the future of UBC’s biggest teams seems safe.

As for smaller teams with tiny budgets, they will probably get moved to “competitive club” status, where they will still be Thunderbird teams and still receive funding from UBC. These teams don’t get much funding in the first place — Nordic skiing, for example, doesn’t have a full-time coach, while football has 16 staff all told — so they won’t appear to suffer. Rob Ragotte, player-coach of the Nordic skiing team, even said being a competitive club “might be a better fit” for them.

The results will be announced over the next few months, but the end result of how this new model affects UBC won’t be seen for a few years. Overall, though, it seems to be shaping up to be a positive one.

Happy New Year?

Last term was rough for UBC. Scandal at the Sauder School of Business over a rape cheer during FROSH week; unsolved sexual assaults making campus feel unsafe; a bit of drama over activism stemming from those issues; and finally, a tragic car accident that took the lives of two UBC students.

The sole piece of good news in The Ubyssey‘s top stories of the term was that Koerner’s Pub reopened. Do with that information what you will.

In any case, while last term kept us at the newspaper busy, we — like all of you — are hoping for a happier second term.

There’s only so much you can do to make next term better for your university — unless you like singing about rape or groping women, in which case please stop — and we know some of this comes down to random chance. Still, be friendly, get involved with cool campus events and be there for your friends.

Happy New Year.