Woman sexually assaulted near campus early Thursday morning

A woman was sexually assaulted near UBC on Thursday morning.

According to Vancouver Police Department Constable Brian Montague, the assault took place shortly after 6 a.m. on Thursday, March 26. A 30 year-old woman was jogging near 16th and Discovery streets in the West Point Grey area when she was grabbed from behind, pushed to the ground and sexually assaulted. She was able to fight off her attacker.

The victim was taken to the hospital with minor physical injuries.

"She was taken to the hospital," said Montague. "She did receive some minor physical injuries. Obviously, [she was] very shaken and upset about the incident, but her physical injuries were fairly minor."

Montague also said that the VPD conducted a search of the area with a police dog, but were not able to locate the suspect. Details on the attacker's age and physical appearance are not available at this time, but the VPD will be putting together a description once the victim is ready to sit down with them.

The VPD is continuing their investigation for the suspect.

"We're canvassing for video, we're going door to door knocking on people's homes to see if they have any information they can share, if anyone saw or heard anything suspicious," said Montague. "We're asking if they did so, that they give us a phone call at (604) 717 0600."

A week ago, the RCMP arrested a suspect in an attempted sexual assault case at Totem Park. On February 23, an 18 year-old woman was also assaulted near UBC's Mundell Park