Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fourth sexual assault at UBC remains unreported to RCMP

File photo Colin Chia/The Ubyssey

File photo Colin Chia/The Ubyssey

A fourth sexual assault occurred on campus this weekend, The Ubyssey has learned.

On early Saturday morning, a student was attacked while walking on campus. The attack followed the pattern of the previous attacks reported by the RCMP. As of Sunday afternoon, the attack had not been reported to law enforcement.

The Ubyssey is withholding the name of the student, our source and other potentially identifying details to protect the student’s identity.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article contained information that was not properly sourced. While the fourth assault remains confirmed, some details listed in the previous version of this article had not been properly confirmed. Those details have been removed. The Ubyssey has released a full statement here.

Due to the sensitive nature of this topic, The Ubyssey has closed comments on this article. Please contact us at feedback@ubyssey.ca if you have any comments.

• Notyourbiz

very informing

• UseYerName

Can’t tell if sarcastic. Though these strings of assult are quite disturbing.

• I just wanna reply

Yes… that was sarcasm you retard.

• Whaaaaat

‘Discovered’ is a wierd word to use. Also, you guys don’t seem to make it clear that you have the student’s permission to report this. That seems pertinent!

• NinjasInParis

What are you playing at here? If the person in question has not reported it to the Police what makes you think they want it reported to the Ubyssey? Have you chosen to report this despite the utter lack of real information to create as big a furor as possible? This is amateur stuff right here.

• Tiger

These attackers are such cowards…. this calls for street justice.

• Laura Fukumoto

WHOA this is not cool, you have NO information, and you don’t even have the consent of the victim involved? Did you not think about how this would affect that person? This is a crime, not your fking story to break so you can get more hits. Shame on your media frenzy, this is not helping the situation.

• Alex

so someone was attempted to be raped and did not call 911? instead called the ubyssey and said hi i have just been attacked?! what a bullshit

• blehhh

@Ubyssey – although we as students do deserve to be kept informed, this article was published with no regard for the what the individual is going through. It is up to her to decide when she is ready to come forward with what she experienced.

Either way, if you are really withholding information to protect the individual’s identity, perhaps removing “wesbrook assault” from the URL of this article should be one of your first steps.

• Jonathan Smith

I like how more than a third of the article is the Editor’s Note

• kiki

there was also one on wednesday night outside of irving