Vantage College not a Library priority, review finds

A review of the UBC Library systems that was presented last December found that Vantage College has “not been made a priority with the library.”

Vantage College is a program for international students who don't meet UBC's English language requirements. The review notes a lack of engagement with the college, and also recommends that the university “pay more attention to building strong relationships to the Asian community through its Asian library.”

“We’ve been in discussion with Vantage College since the beginning in terms of what kind of library support,” said UBC Librarian Ingrid Parent. "Without really trying it out in classes it was hard to estimate what would be required. But we talked to the faculties and we determined that there would be some resources needed for the library."

Parent said she sent a proposal to Vantage College last November regarding ways they could support the college, but the response was slow.

“We really didn’t hear back, because I think the director left, and there’s an acting principal now.... We’re meeting on July 6th, and we want to really work this one through.”

“Our conversations with the UBC Library about ways we can work together to support student success are ongoing,” said Joanne Fox, Acting Principal and Academic Director for UBC Vantage College, in a comment on the review’s suggestions.

The library review did highlight positive aspects, such as their strong commitment to aboriginal library services and their dedication to securing the “privacy and respect of the people and their documentary heritage," alluding to their collaborations to bring more First Nations texts into the library’s collection.

The review also used these examples to bring forth other deficiencies in collaboration, noting that “we do not understand why the cultural outreach rightly celebrated under the current administration, First Nations initiatives for example, has not been followed in other cases, such as developing a strong partnership with Vantage College, where the library has been slow to find a role.”

Parent said she will strive to actively address the gap in collaboration between them, starting with her meeting with Fox, where she hopes to figure out what role the library should play to support Vantage College, what resources are required and how those resources should be provided.