University announces new steering committee on sexual assault

UBC announced in a broadcast email today that Louise Cowin, VP Students, will be convening a steering committee on sexual assault.

The committee will aim to converge the community’s consultation into the existing sexual assault policy draft, or at least address the consultative feedback, and also “work with existing groups and/or establish representative subcommittees to accomplish specific tasks related to creating an effective response to sexual assault through education, prevention and awareness,” according to the broadcast.

Eleven members of the committee have already been determined, but applications are being accepted from faculty, staff and students to fill the remaining four positions. 

“It is important that we facilitate meaningful engagement around these issues, and I am grateful to Louise Cowin for providing leadership, in partnership with our diverse stakeholder groups,” said President Santa Ono in a written statement. “We will ensure that we continue to update the UBC community as the policy consultation progresses.”

The committee will aim to work in a “transparent, inclusive and consultative way” to provide input and advice to the policy committee on key documents and questions, and create an action plan to address recommendations from the university sexual assault panel report.

Members must be able to meet on Thursday mornings and should expect three to four hours of commitment per week. 

“We are seeking individuals who will bring a diversity of experience, identity and expertise to the steering committee,” noted the website

Current members include the AMS President, the Students’ Union Okanagan president, the Graduate Student Society president, two members of the faculty of law — including the dean, the associate VP Equity and Inclusion, the senior advisor to the provost on women faculty, the director of human resources advisory services, the managing director of student development and services, the associate VP Students at UBCO and Cowin herself. 

Applications will be accepted until 9 a.m. on November 2.