RCMP hands over poison arrows to UBC Museum of Anthropology

Two poisonous arrows from a Maasai tribe in Kenya, Africa were turned over to the North Vancouver RCMP this morning. The RCMP then reached out to staff at UBC's Museum of Anthropology which is currently evaluating whether to add them to its collection.

The arrows were turned over by a North Vancouver senior, who was given the two antique arrows by his late father who brought them home from Africa in the late 1940s. How or why the arrows were acquired is unknown.

The senior resident considered the arrows a weapon and gave them to the RCMP to be destroyed. The RCMP, however, thought the arrows might be better suited to a museum collection and reached out to staff at UBC's Museum of Anthropology.

['']
[''] Photo courtesy North Vancouver RCMP

"I’m sure there is an intriguing story behind these two arrows," said Cpl. Richard De Jong of the North Vancouver in an RCMP press release. "It’s encouraging to see the owner doing the right thing, by turning them over to the police and to see the arrows end up on display in a museum."

The Ubyssey has reached out to the Museum of Anthropology for comment. This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

A previous version of this article misspelled the name of the Maasai tribe. The Ubyssey regrets this error.